Monday, November 10, 2008

Royal Blue

Three nights a week I have been working at a small grocery store in downtown Austin. Two of those nights i am here, all alone. It's been pretty interesting considering I have a somewhat active existence down here and now I sit and feed the hungry.

Tonight, I raided a box of samples and ate "Pompuz," bite-sized organic multi-grain crisps, "Nana's," omega-fiber cookie bar, "M13," Assistance health energy functional juice. On the stereo i got an eclectic mix featuring Chuck Mangione, three different artist's rendition of Autumn Leaves, This Will Destroy You, Eliott Smith, Cat Power, Hooverphonic, Hot Chip, the Notwist, Lil Wayne, Al Green, a Janet Jackson and Glsdys Knight tune and more.

Last night was stoner night here. If they weren't coming in sick for cold medicine they were floating in on a personal cloud for ice cream or some other food combo only a THC artist could come up with. My personal favourite was the guy upon realizing we were sold out of eggs was forced to have cereal and milk, microwave popcorn and two boxes of pudding for dinner.

2 comments:

Aldi26 said...

At least you're able to find something to keep yourself entertained while sitting there! :)

And in response to your comment to me, sadly bike commuting isn't an option here. For one thing, work is really far and there are no safe ways to get there, and the other main reason is that it snows here in Illinois! Brrr 27 degrees this morning. :(

Unknown said...

now I'm sold and going to visit you soon!
well, you didn't mention days you work and store hours, dear John ;-) I guess I find you there when I find you!

ps. I'm just curious of the beauty of the simplicity you've been experiencing there!