Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dream

Had a dream the other night I was sitting down at a coffee shop with none other than the 7 time Tour De France champion. A little history before I continue with this story:

Three times in real life I've had the opportunity to be around this guy. The first time was on the Tues Niter. Guys were riding silly cause he was there. As we were rounding a bend, I passed a guy, already on his limit, on the inside and he rubbed my back wheel and took himself out. He also took out a few of the people around him which could have been The Man. Oh man, that's just what I needed, to be part of crashing out a world champion. Lo and behold, he comes flying past me attempting to bridge up to a break. I end up in a chase group with him and put in my time on the front. Later, we were riding right next to each other and a gap opens in front of us. Before anything is done, I say, "I got it," and close it down. Ha

The next time Mr. TdF and I cross paths is when he is opening his bike shop in downtown Austin. I was locking up at a pole outside and I look over and he is staring at my ride. "Nice shop, Lance," I say. "Thanks!"

Number three was the best. Another Tues Niter. I bridge up to the break and then flat. I change the flat and then start heading backwards on the course. The break is still off the front and I jump back in. He's joined the break and the tempo is brutal. My friend and narcissist Trickey is there too. Mr Trickey enjoys people telling him that he resembles one of the best cyclist in history. Well, as we are rotating through, I too can see the resemblence and audibly point this out to Mr. Trickey, within earshot of all in our intimate group.

So as you can I have managed to rise above the expected standards when dealing with a character of his stature. Nothing against him, but I bet he gets tired of people all over his nut.
Well in my dream I caved. We are sitting down in a coffe shop and I tell him that I anticipate he is going to have a very successful comeback season. "Really?" he probes. I tell him that it may not mean much but I have been following his progress and could predict more great things from him. He seems pleased.

My dream then morphs into a more realistic scene where I am asking Dave Wenger if he is ever going to consider inviting me on one of his rides. It seems hopeless and I walk away as Dille ensures me that it'll happen some day.

No comments: