Sunday, July 13, 2008

SuperSketch Day2


Tonight's race was held in a developing neighborhood in southern Chicago. Olympia Fields, to be exact. The course tonight (see here: tonight's course) was condensed due to the undeveloped nature of some of the road surface. Start was on Hermes and the danger area was shortly after the left onto Eros. So officials redesigned the course so that racers continued straight on Messina. This meant the course was .4 mi and there was a more than 90 degree turn with tailwind about 300 meters from the finish. Before our race started there was a meeting held with the participants of the p12 field. I guess there were enough accidents in the previous races to warrant serious consideration of canceling the premiere event. Some voted for heats, some for a seperate p1 and 2 race but most really didn't seem to care. In the end, the announcer preached about how it was back in his day and gave those not wanting to race a credit or refund. The race was also shortened to 80 laps woo hoo!!
So with about 100 racers I didn' t want to get caught in the back, gapped and pulled. I got a good starting position but then couldn't get clipped in and was immediately near the back. Fuck.
I'd like to pause here and simplify my race report. From the back, I would fight and fight and finally get up near the front. "Whew, I made it." And then I would realize I had taken one too many mental breaks and be back near the back.
At about 50 laps I found Barry's wheel and found a nice groove. About two laps later someone crashed at the fast turn and there was a split that took a few laps to close down. After this I never felt the same groove. Seventeen to go, I'm coming around the fast turn and there is a rider face down, seemingly asleep, near the curb. They stop the race as the ambulance comes in. About fifteen minutes later the race resumes with the four man break half a lap ahead. I started near the front and finally felt like I was surfing some familiar waves. The whole team seemed to be riding much better with several breaks, tempo setting and bridges. At three to go I moved Carlos up to the front and then riders surged around me. I finished in the pack and Carlos improved his placing to 11th.
Special thanks tonight go out to Chelsy for sending a bit of the south through my phone, Billie Holliday for singing me a love song and Marsha... you just gotta check her out: Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. Austin couriers: drink an espresso for me and somebody finally talk to "Ticket City Girl!" I mean she's dating a dude from Tiff's, how intimidating can she really be?!

2 comments:

ausdude said...

Glad you survived the wrecks. I've been to Olympia Fields, sorry you had to go there too. Just say no to Tiff's. Sorry about your friend. What happened to dude asleep on the side of the road?

John Trujillo said...

"dude asleep" was a rider that crashed and probably blacked out. He came to but was taken to hospital